Tuesday

What Makes Up Your Shell?

This morning I stood in front of the bathroom mirror. Yep, I did it. I actually stood in front of my bathroom mirror and guess what I did? I smiled. I smiled at the person who stared back at me. There used to be a time, and not too long ago I must admit, when I first of all dare not stand in front of the mirror. And if I did, an unpleasant scowl formed on my face. I didn't like the person I saw staring back at me.

Today was different. I realized that this body I inhabit is merely a shell. The essence of who I am does not reside in the shell; it resides from within. All of who I am; everything that makes me 'me' radiates from within. The shell is my outward covering. It does not define me.  It identifies me.

You too are divinely formed. We are spiritual beings formed in the likeness and image of God. Our shells provide a cover for the essence of our being.  Our shells can give people a glimpse of who we are, but sometimes that shell can be deceiving. That is why it is important in relationships that we take the time to get to know the other person. Many times we find out that their shell is not a true representation of who they really are.

Our shells come in all shapes, sizes, colors and heights. Our shells are fat, skinny, dark, light, tall, short, wide, colorful and the list goes on. But who are you inside? When you stand before the mirror and you see your shell staring back at you, think about what your shell represents.

I am grateful that I smile when I look at my shell because I know that I am one of a kind. No, I am not perfect. My shell is wasting away everyday. There is nothing you or I can do about that because all of us must one day shed our outward shells. "For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality" (1 Corinthians 15:53...).

However, while we reside in these shells let us do all that we are humanly capable of doing to care for our shells. Let us love our shells. Let us remember that we are unique creatures. We are not all meant to look alike, think alike, act alike or live alike. We all have gifts, talents and desires. Let us go about each day and run our race. "The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all" (...Ecclesiastes 9:11).

Take the time to live your dreams now. Love your shell. More importantly love the person that resides insde of the shell. That is the part that truly reveals who you are. Do not allow the opinions of others to damage your shell. You are fearfully and wonderfully made...shell and all.


Now go and Live Your Dreams Now...I dare you.

No comments: